Thanks for the great product.
I installed it on Win7 and used two VMs having XP 32bit and Win7 32 bit as clients.
I got some error initially, could not get the configuration tool to work. Dragon/firefox were not useful either. I used IE as suggested...to get in to console. (alreadydetailed in previous posts)
Here are my initial observations.
1. While the GUI is visually appealing, it does not seem much intuitive or self explaining in many cases throughout the screens for me.
2. Back and next buttons not in correct position; it took a lot of time for me to adjust to their positions. We generally have the back and next buttons beneath the actual dialogs and they work with simple keyboard storkes "Enter" and "Backspace"; which was not true in this case. "Enter" key does not lead to next page, mouse click was the only way...
3. while filling username and password forms, "Tab" does not clear the previously entered password (if already exits), instead it is appending it at the end, and as I said before, the usual "Enter" did not work, I had to click the next at top right...
4. Quarantine--submit for analysis, and restore to a different location would have added a lot of meaning to this. Even something like move all to a central location (possibly on server) would make it useful.
5. Reports--PDF, XLS are good, but can't we simply have the html reports (just to look at, instead of creating the pdf or xls)
I do not know whether it is common for CESM to take such long time (30sec to 150 sec) to create reports, but it looked slow to me (I just had one client actively monitored).
7. Policies---This kind of implementation is completely new to me (to what I am actually used to), needs a complete reunderstanding... I will work on it...and comment later.
8. Can't we make the scan and update two different issues and processes ? If I am running a scan (say Fullscan) the update fails and it does not even restart after the completion of the scan.
9. During client deployment, particularly the IP address field, I could not figure out for quite some time that I need to click the "+" button on the left to add it (It is supposed to be on the right side...and even the "Enter" key is supposed to activate it). This behaviour is not easily understandable and not intuitive.
10. There were no CIS packages initially (quite understandable and looks a good policy as we get different versions time to time)
11. During the component download/updates progress a "% or progress bar" would give a great relief. The animation is testing our patience, it does not contain any info whether or not something is happening, or to what extent did it already happen...
Later, I figured out where the downloaded packages are, but they have strange names...If, I want to use them for an offline server use, should I be copying them with the same names or what ? I really did not get this.. (I have sent a PM to Fiolla explaining my exact test case, so may be I should ask for his help in this issue too...)
12. During deployment, unfortunately, I got the bad result - "deployment failed" for both my clients.
In case of the XP client on VM CESM says that the username or password was wrong. But the same username and password were working fine when I try to connect to that client through explorer. I manually installed CIS on this client and tried the "More--Manage this endpoint" option. It says the agent is installed but shows as "disconnected" in the main window. It does not show up in the server console as well.
In the other client's case (Win7 client on VM), the client simply hung, I do not know why.. I tried to manually install CIS on that system, even in manual installation also, the VM hangs during the "kernel driver installation" stage. I will restore the client to a previous clean state and check it tomorrow.
I have also got this message once but I do not remember exactly when or on which client..."Windows works in guest only mode ? shall we switch to ..." Is this normal ?
13. I also observed that the downloaded CIS was a different version (newer infact) CIS 5.8.3569.2040
. Is there any change log ?
14. what is non compliant ? non reporting ?
Looking forward to more comments and explanation.
Tomorrow, I will try to spend some more time on this on my VMs... until I get a way to get it to run on my work environment (I am waiting for help from Fiolla).