Author Topic: What is crashrep.exe?  (Read 7001 times)

Offline x30n1x

What is crashrep.exe?
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:15:05 AM »
Hi,

I've been using Comodo Internet Security for like 2 years now, and it is working fine.  But I just received a weird error message today on crashrep.exe.  What is crashrep.exe?? Is it safe? Is it part of Comodo?  Please refer to my JPG attachment.

Comodo Info
Comodo Internet Security Premium 5.3.175888.1227
Database Version: 7419

System Info
Windows Vista Home Basic SP 2
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

Offline kagun

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: What is crashrep.exe?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:39:28 AM »
It is part of comodo, it supplies crash information to Comodo for analysis.

Do you use 32 bit or 64 bit and what version [32 or 64] you have of Comodo?

Offline x30n1x

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:04:23 AM »
i am using 32 bit system, but where can i look for such info for my comodo app?

for you info, i am using cooler pad for my laptop which i bought yesterday and started using since then, but i did not get any this message  until like an hour ago, but can it be the cause of this problem?

Offline x30n1x

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:12:54 AM »
few more screenshots for ref

From my 1st post, i have attached a screen shot of the message regarding crashrep.exe.  From the message box, it gives me 2 options

1. Show me the message

2. Remind me in a few minutes

If I select the (2) option or select [X] to close the window, the message will reappear in a few minutes

But if I select opntion (1), i will get few more message boxes.  Pls refer attachments.  Hope they help

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Valentin N

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Usability Study Group
    • My homepage at the moment
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
Hey

Follow the steps that are below.

1) download CIS 5.3 32bit and CIS clean up tool (extract the zip file to your desktop so that you see it)

2) Uninstall the current CIS and use the CIS clean tools as admin in safe mode (press F8 after the computers logo)

3) Install CIS 5.3 as admin.

Make sure that you don't have any other antivirus active in the background; I only say this advice if you intend to you CIS.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
            Valentin

CEVPN: Valentin N

CIS 6.3

Keep CTM alive by voting

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:27 AM »
The submit address is not working for quite a while now.

Are you willing to file a bug report on this? When you are going to also report that crashrep.exe could not display a message on your desktop.

You can file the bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:43:16 PM by EricJH »

Offline x30n1x

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »
Hi Valentin N

Thank you for your reply but I honestly do not think that is the issue since Comodo Internet Security System requirement has clearly stated -

from this link - http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-170-1640-System-Requirements.html

Comodo Internet Security - System Requirements

To ensure optimal performance of Comodo Internet Security, please ensure that your PC complies with the minimum system requirements as stated below:
Windows 7 (Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions), Windows Vista (Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions) or Windows XP (Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions)

-------end--------

And since I am using Windows Vista 32 bit, as far as i understand this should not be the problem.  Also as I mentioned earlier, I've been running Comodo almost 2 years now in my machine, so why suddenly should there be any of this issue.

Thank you for your reply  :Beer

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:09 PM »
Did you recently change something to your system? Installed new programs or changed Windows settings?

Offline x30n1x

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:20:40 PM »
Hi EricJH,

The only difference is that I just installed Laptop Cooling Pad a day before i received the message. I have shut down my machine this morning, and I will check later today whether or not I still receive such message.

Thank you :)

Offline Valentin N

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Usability Study Group
    • My homepage at the moment
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 05:03:47 AM »
I don't see any correlation between the pluging in a cooling pad and this error. When I wrote my suggestion I wanted too see if that would solve this issue. I would be happy if you could give my suggestion a try and make a bug report if you have time and the lust.

I am sorry if I sound ignorant but reinstalling something can sometime solve unknown issues.

Regards,
            Valentin N

CEVPN: Valentin N

CIS 6.3

Keep CTM alive by voting

Offline x30n1x

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:49:06 AM »
Hi Valentin N,

Me too can't see any possible connection between the error and cooling pad, but i was just assuming since i did not do anything new to my machine for the past few days.

However just like to inform you guys that after I had my machine restarted, what i can tell is for 1 hour and 15 minutes, i still not getting the error message (hope it stays that way ;)).  But i will update you guys on it if it does happen again

Thank you all

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek