Author Topic: Avast! / CIS Conflict?  (Read 15396 times)

Offline LoobyLoo

Avast! / CIS Conflict?
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:00:43 AM »
I have been having problems with the Avast! Web Scanner/CIS, I noticed this when I looked in Windows Event Viewer and saw the following entries:

Event ID: 7009
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the avast! Web Scanner service to connect.

Event ID: 7000
The avast! Web Scanner service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Sometimes after a few minutes it does seem to start up, but then sometimes "terminates", Windows Event Viewer shows the following error message:

Event ID: 7034
The avast! Web Scanner service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

These error messages have been happening randomly since 22nd January, but since 14th February (after I installed a new version of Comodo Internet Security) it happens every time I load Windows.

I've disabled Comodo Internet Security and the messages do not appear, I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Comodo Internet Security and Avast! (using the avast! Antivirus Removal Tool), but the problem still exists.

I'm using Windows XP (SP3 and all updates), Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1335 and Comodo Internet Security 3.8.64739.471 (only Firewall with Optimum Proactive Defense), both Network Defense & Proactive Defense are on Safe Mode.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Avast! / CIS Conflict?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »
Do you have CIS AV set to actively scan, and are you running D+? If so, you should never have more than only security application actively monitoring your system. There are bound to be conflicts.

Offline LoobyLoo

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »
Thanks for replying :)

I did say in my first post that I only use the firewall and D+ (Optimum Proactive Defense) :P

Offline Ronny

• Retired - Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired - Volunteer Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »
Can you restart it manually after system startup or won't it start at all ?
Retired - Volunteer Moderator
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline LoobyLoo

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 05:54:56 AM »
Thanks for replying :D

Sometimes it does startup by itself after a few minutes but then "terminates", after that when I terminate and restart the web scanner sometime it works fine other times it keeps terminating.

I have seemed to have found a way around it, by not having the web scanner load at windows startup and then manually starting it just before I go online (I'm on dial up).

It just annoying that it won't work right at startup.

Offline Ronny

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »
Dev's have found an issue and that will be fixed with the next release, i expect this/next week.
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline Jahn

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 01:19:09 AM »
Dev's have found an issue and that will be fixed with the next release, i expect this/next week.
In the mean time is there any workaround?
Proud Comodo user since 2006 :)

Offline Ronny

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:27:43 AM »
Only workaround is to disable D+ permanently on the D+ Settings window.
Or to pause the Web scanner up to you what you like/trust the most.

Offline Jahn

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »
Only workaround is to disable D+ permanently on the D+ Settings window.
Or to pause the Web scanner up to you what you like/trust the most.
OK - Thanks
Proud Comodo user since 2006 :)

Offline LoobyLoo

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:40:14 AM »

Thank you so much :)

Offline LoobyLoo

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »
Just downloaded and installed new CIS version 3.8.65951.477 and the problem still exists. :(

Offline John Buchanan

• "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Personal Dragons can be defeated. Improve yourself
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »
I just ran the online update for CIS (from 3.5 to 3.8.xxx.477) on the GF's wireless laptop (Win XP Pro, SP2), Firewall and D+ only.  Avast is her on-access AV.  No other security.

Everything went smooth with no errors and Avast is also working smoothly.  All software functioning as it should.

Could the errors being experienced actually have something to do with CIS' AV causing an issue with D+, which in turn is having issues with other AV software?
Please follow Comodo Forum Policy

Bah! Ban 'em all! The only good member is a banned member
And a member is just a policy violator who hasn't been caught yet. >:-D

Offline Ronny

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 11:58:24 AM »
Just downloaded and installed new CIS version 3.8.65951.477 and the problem still exists. :(

Can you tell us how you installed the new version, did you leave everything default ? did you change settings ?
Did you "import" an previous config or did you start creating new rules ?

Offline LoobyLoo

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 12:14:43 PM »
Can you tell us how you installed the new version, did you leave everything default ? did you change settings ?
Did you "import" an previous config or did you start creating new rules ?

Thanks for replying!

Only things I changed: I installed Firewall with Maximum Proactive Defense+ (last time it was Optimum Proactive Defense, I did this because I normally use Maximum, but tried with Optimum when I started having problems), I did change Proactive+ security level to safe mode from clean mode.

I did not import any previous configs

Offline LoobyLoo

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 01:53:25 PM »
Not sure if this is any help, but the errors still happen when I disable the Firewall and Defense+ indivudually (i.e one disabled and one enabled), when I stop CIS from running at Windows startup the error does not happen!

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek