CESM Server not reachable?

I apparently missed something here - the product looks great, but I cannot install the agents on my client PCs. I keep getting a message saying that the CESM server is not reachable - but the client PCs are connecting to my server fine, and can browse their respective folders fine. In fact, one of hte two usernames is a network admin and can see everything on the server. At any rate, I need a gentle push in the right direction as I’ve been up working on other projects for a couple of days now and simply don’t have the energy to keep hitting my head on this one.

Here is my setup:

1 Windows SBS2008 box running CESM console and server.
2 Windows Vista Profesional on a laptop
3) Windows Vistal Professional desktop

All meet the requirements for the software as recommended in the administration guide. I’m pretty sure this is an SQL connectivity issue. Network-wise, I do have the ports open (9001 and 9901) for the CESM on the server’s firewall for local network only.

Are you pushing agents from the CESM or are you trying to install the agents locally?

If locally you will want to use the following steps:

• Open the CESM
  • Click on Tools
  • Click on Create Agent Installation Packages…
  • Click Next
  • Uncheck everything
  • Click Next
  • Click Finish.

That will create the agent install for local machine that will have your CESM host information in it. Just Run the installer on the machine you are trying to get connected to CESM. Install the CESM Agent and then go to your CESM Console and you will see a alert for a machine trying to connect to the CESM. Just hit connect and your good to go.

Thanks, etaftm.

Actually, “Can’t connect to ESM Server” means that agent could not (for some reason - basically - firewall) to be able connect to ESM Server.

Tell us if manual installation finished successfully (it shouldn’t).

Check Agent port for connection using CESM Configuration Tool (Programs → Comodo → Endpoint Security manager).

Thanks for your feedback.

Gotcha, I was getting that message when trying to use the offline installer which is why I mentioned the method.

Thanks,

This is because you did not config command line properly for offline installer.
But offline package created from ESM server already includes ini file configured.

Correct. I wasn’t sure if he was running into the same issue as I was.

JKeck, were our advises helpful?

I apologize for the terribly long wait in responding - I have been tied up with a massive number of other projects, and have been unable to get back to this one, which is luckily not a production issue.

The manual agent installation did not help, though I’m looking into the firewall issue now that I’m back to the process of troubleshooting this issue.

My efforts are temporarily hampered because the CESM service will not start now on the box…below is the attached error:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: crmsrvservice.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.5.4747.11689
Problem Signature 03: 4bbbdde9
Problem Signature 04: System
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ba8574c
Problem Signature 07: 2c9d
Problem Signature 08: 40
Problem Signature 09: System.Net.Sockets.Socket
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.305.9
Locale ID: 1033

Once I resolve the service issue, I’ll be back to the agent connection issue - to provide more information, this is what the network setup looks like:

(1) ClearOS Enterprise Edition unit (hardware is home-built, this is not one of ClearOS’ boxes) attached to external internet connection, creating 192.168.1.x network and 192.168.2.x network (.2.x is the Hot LAN, and is for public use via wireless connection using a bridged wireless router in access point mode; .1.x is hard-wired LAN only, used for office computers). Each LAN is attached to a physical LAN card (eth1 and et2).

On the .1.x network, there is a Windows SBS 2008 box and 2 (soon to be 3) Windows Vista clients, all on the same domain.

The goal here is twofold: 1) to test the viability of this setup for a small office and 2) to test the effectiveness of COMODO ESM in an effort to determine whether it is a product to recommend to others in terms of ease of use, administration, and setup.

So ESM is installed on SBS 2008, correct?

Is there any additional info for the error, like:

Mapper service failure. 
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParse
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String ...

Yes, it is installed on the SBS 2008 box.

No, this is the error I get when looking at the event logs:

Error: System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Failed to write to an IPC Port: The pipe is being closed.

Server stack trace: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcPort.Write(Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.ChunkedMemoryStream.WriteTo(Stream stream)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcClientHandler.SendRequest(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders headers, Stream contentStream)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at CRM.SrvCore.ISubSystemCatalog.GetSessionId(Guid sessionId)
   at CRM.ConApplication.Common.ConnectionManager.Connect(AuthorizationEventArgs args)
ConnectionState: Connected

This because ESM server is not running.
Can you star it manually?
Is there any records in System/Application logs regarding this problem?

error 1053 and a timeout for 90000 milliseconds…thats it.

This may be because SBS start a lot of services.
Switch ESM service to Manual start, restart SBS server, wait untill it UP and running and then try to start ESM Service manually.

If it doesn’t help, inform.
Thanks for feedback.

No luck on the last step…I’m too curious to uninstall/reinstall so I’ll take another stab at it tomorrow.

I double-checked my settings and I even have an SQL instance dedicated to the COMODO software. This was working before (as evidenced by my original post) - I’m wondering if a windows update may have caused this issue (I’ve run into that with a remote backup client before - try explaining that to a customer)…though if it had I would imagine someone else would have posted the issue as well.

Update: Installed .NET 4.0 Framework on the server to rule out any issues with that aspect of Windows - still the same error.

Please attach application and system logs if possible.
Try uninstall/install CESM.

We are investigating this problem.

ratz,

I sent you a PM with a link to download the logs. thanks for your help! I’ll try the ununstall/reinstall tonight.

hmm - service still won’t start…even after uninstall/reboot/reinstall…

Let’s see if logs can help in this issue.