Author Topic: accessibility for blind users  (Read 224494 times)

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: accessibility for blind users
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
Hi Christopher,

We have identified the root cause of the issue. CIS self-defense is causing the issue and there are workarounds to thwart this.

All you need is to add nvda.exe to Interprocess Memory Access Protection exceptions of COMODO Internet Security group in Defense+ rules.

However since CIS wont allow an application to control itself by default, you probably wont be able to do this initially.

Do you have a 1 time alternative method to disable Defense+ so that you can make some simple policy modifications?

Offline windows7

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 07:23:24 PM »
No, at this time I don't. I cannot do anything with Comodo. I cannot tab around, I can't aero around, nor can I use the screen reader commands. It's completely inaccessible. In previous versions, it was very friendly with NVDA and other screen-reading software. Does it still have keyboard navigation?

Offline windows7

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 01:01:04 AM »
Well, the only way I could disable self-defense is to have someone remotely go into my computer and do it for me.

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
Well, the only way I could disable self-defense is to have someone remotely go into my computer and do it for me.

I will let you know the steps. There are easy ways to disable it manually. All you need to do is to manually rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\cmdguard.sys file to something else and then restart your PC. This will disable CIS and it will let you know to do this manually.

After restarting, you need to open cfp.exe or CIS GUI,
1 - Go to Defense+->Computer Security Policy->Defense+ Rules
2 - Click entry named COMODO Internet Security and click on Edit button
3 - In the opened window, click on Customize button
4 - Click on Protection Settings tab, and you will see protection items grid
5 - In this grid, you can do 2 things: Disable interprocess memory access protection by simply clicking on the checbox in Inactive column or
6 - You can click on Modify button in the exceptions column where you can add all of the files related to your support software. You need to click on Add->Browse button and choose the installation path of the support sofware and add them to exceptions.(nvda.exe is the file that is being blocked from accessing CIS memory but you can add all the files)

7 - Restore c:\windows\system32\drivers\cmdguard.sys file back and restart.

After these steps, eveerything should be fine.

We are currently checking what else we can do to help visually impaired users without having them following these steps.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:26:00 AM by egemen »

Offline windows7

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 06:55:59 PM »
Thanks for the steps. I will reinstall CIS and try this. I'm hoping this will work. I just thought it was the graphics. Since screen-reading software doesn't read graphs.

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
I can help you right now, I am online. We can use teamviwer.
http://www.youtube.com/languy99

Software Reviews for all.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/languy99

Offline windows7

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 01:47:31 AM »
OK, i'm gonna install TeamViewer. Hopefully it's accessible to screen-reader programs.

Offline windows7

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 03:02:15 AM »
Hello all. I tried doing the steps that were given to me. It still didn't read the interface. I restored the file back to it's original name, and then it started to affect my whole computer. It kept putting NVDA in the sandbox and my computer was nearly becoming inaccessible. I decided to uninstall it from my PC again. I hope NVDA gets added to the list of safe Apps. I was really hoping this would work. I'm trying not to stress over this since I just had a laser procedure done a few days ago.

Offline Valentin N

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Usability Study Group
    • My homepage at the moment
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 05:04:40 AM »
Hey windows7 and warm welcome.

could you provide the d+ event, if it's possible?

CEVPN: Valentin N

CIS 6.3

Keep CTM alive by voting

Offline wasgij6

• Volunteer Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 05:13:58 AM »
Hey windows7 and warm welcome.

could you provide the d+ event, if it's possible?

i dont think he will be able to since his screen reader is being blocked. im thinking that its unknown and its sandboxed which causes it to not function correctly. i will submit it to be trusted. if windows7 did everything correctly nvda should work after its trusted
| Win 8.1 Pro (x64) | UAC Disabled | Intel i7 4770k | Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo | Asus GeForce GTX 780 | G.Skill TridentX 16gb RAM | Samsung 840 Pro SSD |

Offline windows7

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
I also hope that once it gets added to the list of safe Apps, that it will finally be able to read the interface. Currently, if I try opening the interface, it just says Comodo Internet Security. Pane. I cannot do anything. I can't read the security status, I can't navigate anywhere with in the application. I was told that it has no keyboard navigation and only use with the mouse. Everything that I do on my computer is all with my keyboard.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek