Comodo Security Agent Could Not Be Started

Hello,

A few days I suddenly got the above message when logging into Windows - “Comodo Security Agent Could Not Be Started”, and it then asks me to run a Diagnostic Fix. However, it never finds anything, so I have to ‘manually’ activate Comodo Internet Security (the free one). Uninstalling & reinstalling the programme does no make any difference. I have not installed, or uninstalled, any software or hardware recently. Any idea why this is happening?

My specifications are: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) \ Intel Core2 Duo E6750 \ Abit IP-35 Pro \ Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer \ Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro \ 4gb Corsair Twin2X2048 XMS Xtreme Performance (800mhz) \ Gainward GTX460 IGB ‘GS’ \ Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer \ Samsung SpinPoint 2TB \ Samsung Writemaster SH-S223Q \ Corsair CMPSUHX 620w PSU \ Acer 24" X243H \ Netgear N300 (DGN2200v3)

Thanks,

DANNY

Could you reinstall following Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems by my colleague Chiron. An important step is the one where you run clean up tools for security programs you had in the past.

What version of CIS you using? What other security do you have installed and which ones are running in the background alongside CIS?

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. I shall have a look at that guide later.

My other security is Spyware Blaster, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and SUPERAntiSpware (free version) - none of which run in ‘real time’. I just have the free version of Comodo Internet Security, which presumably is the latest version.

Thanks,

DANNY

Hi Danny, hi Forum,
I got the exact same problem.
What did you do to solve it?
Bobby

I have the exactly same problem.
Reinstalling the program did not work.
I don’t understand what’s going on here.
Are we protected or not?
Thank you.

Please try reinstalling by following the advice given in this topic. Let us know if this is able to solve this problem.

Thanks.

I could finally fix this problem.
I had to disable UAC (User Account Control) in Windows Vista.
“The COMODO Security Agent could not be started” does not appear anymore on the Windows start up.
Now, everything works just fine, the Comodo Internet Security Premium red icon appears again in the taskbar … like before.

Good luck,
Gonzalo

P.S: Reinstalling by following the advice given in this topic did not fix the problem in my case.

This sounds very strange. This behavior should certainly not be happening. If you are willing, would you mind submitting a bug report for this in this section of the forum. The required format is provided here. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Gonzalo, are you running as a limited user in Vista or as admin?

I see that many people read this topic.

I´m having similar problems after a clean CIS Firewall installation following advice on this forum. Moreover, my firewall “forgets” the rules I specify between sessions, which is frustrating. I´m using version 8.0.0.4344 under Windows 7 64 bit.

Has anybody got a solution for this?
Thank you.

Hello,

A few days I suddenly got the above message when logging into Windows - “Comodo Security Agent Could Not Be Started”, and it then asks me to run a Diagnostic Fix. However, it never finds anything, so I have to ‘manually’ activate Comodo Internet Security (the free one). Uninstalling & reinstalling the programme does no make any difference. I have not installed, or uninstalled, any software or hardware recently. Any idea why this is happening?

My specifications are: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) \ Intel Core2 Duo E6750 \ Abit IP-35 Pro \ Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer \ Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro \ 4gb Corsair Twin2X2048 XMS Xtreme Performance (800mhz) \ Gainward GTX460 IGB ‘GS’ \ Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer \ Samsung SpinPoint 2TB \ Samsung Writemaster SH-S223Q \ Corsair CMPSUHX 620w PSU \ Acer 24" X243H \ Netgear N300 (DGN2200v3)

Thanks,

I have similar problem, i fixed like that: go to windows services and started COMODO Virtual Service Manager and change startup type to automatic

Just recently I’ve been having the same issue and if my computer is turned off upon every restart it goes something like this. At the Windows XP desktop before any of the tray icons load there is a error message that security agent will not start and it then ask’s if I want to run a diagnostic to fix any error’s. I then run the diagnostic tool and it NEVER finds any errors, so at this point I start Comodo manually and everything works fine. I’ll try the Windows Services (auto) approach i read here and see if that works. I’ve looked in msconfig to see if everything looks to be ok and it does… :-\

edit I just got back from changing the priority in Windows Services to Automatic as recommended in this thread. Unfortunately when I restarted my computer the problem still remain’s. I hate when after nothing has been changed on my end things just stop working (Welcome to the wonderful world of computer’s). It’s a minor annoyance really but it just bugs the daylights out of me and I need to find a solution. Im not about to do a bunch of re-installing and all of the other recommendations found here, or submit bug reports just to find out that I still have this problem… so I guess it will never get fixed. I’m really disappointed because changing the (auto) priority sounded so easy and I really thought it was going to work. I might just have to say Bye Bye to Comodo…

Is the service set to manual instead of automatic? When set to automatic will it be changed to manual after a reboot?

Are you willing to try a clean install like this?

Thank you for your response and at the risk of sounding ignorant and uncooperative, I really don’t have the time or patience for all of those re-install instructions in the link you provided. I’ve been logged in as the administrator but hadn’t noticed until reading your comment that this particular priority keeps changing itself back to manual. >:( Could this be the problem …?

EDIT:(Today at 05:45:00 AM)
After reading your comment I had another go at changing the priority’s while logged in as the administrator and tried something else I wanted to mention. I again went to services and clicked on the COMODO Virtual Service Manager and changed the start up type back to automatic. I also selected properties and while exploring the recovery tab noticed a “Select the response if the service fails” option. This was set to “Take no action” so I changed it to “Restart”. I then did a system restart to find the annoying error was still there. I finally restarted the computer in safe mode, and once again went back to services to change this priority. I then did a restart only to find that this start up error still exist’s.

It´s sad that this problem is so hard to solve. I´ve tried many suggestions, but still can get CIS to behave properly.
It´s somewhat annoying to run a diagnostic (with the associated delays) every time the computer starts, only to find that my created rulesets are lost and no problem is detected.

Also for some reason comodo only allows me to start the associated services after I run diagnostics.

Do you also have the problem where Comodo Security Agent could not be started beside CIS forgetting rulesets you created?

The reason for asking to try a clean install following Chiron’s guide is to see if the problem reproduces. Sometimes a left over of a security program you had in the past is causing problems.

It is a necessary step towards calling your problem a bug or not.

Indeed I have both problems.
Yesterday I followed the advice regarding the “Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems” to the letter, but it did not work.

Any suggestions?

Before calling it a bug I need to know if you run other security program(s) in the background.

No, I´m not running other security programs.
I tried the whole installation process once more, following recommendations and making sure no security programs were running.

Other programs that run on my system or load on startup are: process lasso, rivatuner statistics server (MSI Afterburner), Wireless Console for wifi/bluetooth connectivity, VMware workstation, Fresco Logic USB3 Host Controller, Atheros Bluetooth stack and tray, Synaptics device driver software, THX Trustudio, Java update check, and a few Asus utilities (ATKMedia, ATKOSD2).

Hope this help to narrow things down.