Author Topic: Is it Safe To Use Two anti-virus engines?  (Read 39439 times)

Offline Jaki

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Is it Safe To Use Two anti-virus engines?
« on: July 22, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
Hi Guys

I would like to discuss this subject in more details with respect to the worth or perils of using two on-access anti-virus engines. Some people, like me, would say yes, but... However, most people would adamantly say no way.
The bottom line for me is to have people opinions; if you agree please state why. If you do not agree please also state the reasons for your disagreement. More importantly, be respectful of someone opinions even when you disagree, since knowledge does not inhabit one brain alone.

Let us brainstorm together and share respectfully our ideas.

Jaki.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:03:37 PM by Jaki »
"Anything you scan will be scanned against you; if you are smart, you will stop scanning." --Vundo
"Detecting and cleaning are futile, my growing family members will eventually hack you." --Virut

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
Re: Is it Safe To Use Two anti-virus engines?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »
Well , having more at the same time could increase your detection. However, they could also lower your defences and they use a lot of system recourses. Myu personal experiences are that it isn't necessary to use more than 1, however it is adviced to just use the others as on-demand scanners.

Xan

Offline Jaki

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:07:55 PM »
Hi Experience

Thanks for your reply and you have stated the truth. However not all multi-engine scanners are a drain on system resources; for example F-secure anti-virus which is a multi-engine scanner did not slow my computer down at all. I downloaded their trial and I had no issue with it.

Currently my NOD32 will expire soon, very soon and I'm using it with Dr. Web side by side both on access without conflict nor resource drainage on my system.
"Anything you scan will be scanned against you; if you are smart, you will stop scanning." --Vundo
"Detecting and cleaning are futile, my growing family members will eventually hack you." --Virut

Vettetech

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 04:15:15 PM »
You do not need 2 av's. Plain and simply.

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »
Thanks for your reply and you have stated the truth. However not all multi-engine scanners are a drain on system resources; for example F-secure anti-virus which is a multi-engine scanner did not slow my computer down at all. I downloaded their trial and I had no issue with it.
Could be, I've never tried it.  :)

Currently my NOD32 will expire soon, very soon and I'm using it with Dr. Web side by side both on access without conflict nor resource drainage on my system.

You could visite my combination topic which includes several shareware long trials

Aaaaaaaaah, I was waiting for that reply Vettetech  ;D

Xan

DarkButterfly

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »
Just like Vet mentioned, there is no need for 2 anti-virus.

Now, is it possible without turning the system unstable? Yes, it is. But it all comes down to what anti-virus you choose.

For example, it would be perfecty possible to have both NOD32 and Avira. They are both light on resources.
If you truly wish 2 anti-virus engines, you can then use NOD32 (paid) as the main anti-virus and use Avira AntiVir Personal (free) as an on-demand one and turn some of it's services off on the windows services manager.

Offline Jaki

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »
You do not need 2 av's. Plain and simply.

Hi Vette

I beg to differ from your point of view. Actually using 2 anti-virus engines is my own response to the in-the-cloud technology that cost a fortune (trend Micro is a big proponent of such a technology). ;D. The threat landscape has changed. I'll state more reasons throughout this thread of the worth of using two anti-virus engines.

Peace man

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 04:51:23 PM »
Fact is that standart antivirus scanners only rely on signatures. That's why I use Comodo Firewall Pro. It Prevents stuff, so I don't need any on-acces antivirus. Vettetech uses CFP + an antivirus. He doesn't believe in using more as it is together with Comodo only as a back-up. I only use them as on-demand scanners.

Xan

Offline Jaki

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 04:53:16 PM »
Just like Vet mentioned, there is no need for 2 anti-virus.

Now, is it possible without turning the system unstable? Yes, it is. But it all comes down to what anti-virus you choose.

For example, it would be perfecty possible to have both NOD32 and Avira. They are both light on resources.
If you truly wish 2 anti-virus engines, you can then use NOD32 (paid) as the main anti-virus and use Avira AntiVir Personal (free) as an on-demand one and turn some of it's services off on the windows services manager.

Hi DarkButterfly

I already tried NOD32 and Avira together both on-access without turning anything off with great success, no problem. It is OK to use two anti-virus engines. Please do not be afraid. Please do not be afraid :-[.

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 04:55:23 PM »
Hi DarkButterfly

I already tried NOD32 and Avira together both on-access without turning anything off with great success, no problem. It is OK to use two anti-virus engines. Please do not be afraid. Please do not be afraid :-[.
true, be not afraid. We only share differend visions as you stated in your first post  :). You could use some together but be carefull, some will clash.

Xan

Offline Jaki

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
true, be not afraid. We only share differend visions as you stated in your first post  :). You could use some together but be carefull, some will clash.

Xan

Hi eXPerience

You are right, some will. By virtue of experience  ;D I know that NOD32 and Avast do not co-exist well I tried them already on my virtual XP Pro SP2. To me I think Avast was at fault since NOD32 is quite tolerant of other antivirus engines. The worst though is TrendMicro.

Also eXPerience tell us more about the ones that will clash.

Peace.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:03:00 PM by Jaki »

DarkButterfly

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »
Hi eXPerience

You are right, some will. By virtue of experience  ;D I know that NOD32 and Avast do not co-exist well I tried them already on my virtual XP Pro SP2. To me I think Avast was at fault since NOD32 is quite tolerant of other antivirus engines. The worst though is TrendMicro.

Also eXPerience tell us more about the ones that will clash.

Peace.

I can tell you that if you install AVG 8 while having one other antivirus installed, the system will hang. The same thing does not happen if you first install AVG and the other antivirus.

If you install both NOD32 and Avira AntiVir Premium, then (it was how I made the test) you will have to deactive some services of AntiVir, otherwise system will take too much time to boot (taking in account what you got loading on system startup).

Offline Jaki

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »
Hi DarkButterfly

Not quite so and I already tried them. As a matter of fact I tried AVG 8 Pro with NOD32, Avast, Avira free and Outpost antivirus without any headache. I installed AVG 8 first and then the other engine and after about two hours I powered off the the virtual XP and  installed let's say Avira first and after that AVG 8 with the same results, no problems whatsoever.  :)

Peace.

Vettetech

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
Before this thread goes on and on. There is no proven fact that 2 av's are better then one. AV Comparatives and other test sites like it do these tests on system using 1 av at a time. Most of today's av's catch about 95% of whats out there. Thats damn good. I have always used 1 av and a firewall and always been fine. Now I am running Sandboxie also. I have never been infected but just the other day a ran into something and Comodo alerted me. NOD32 removed it and when I emptied my Sandbox it was gone completely. I did some chatting awhile back with an NOD32 designer and her even said 2 av's can cause conflict and actually make you more prone to infections. Having a good av and 1 as on demand is fine. Dr. Web Curit is good. Thanks eXperience for speaking up for me. I was at the track running my Evo. Sure you can run 2 av's with no problems but why? Its a waste of time and resources. If anybody should be infected around here it should be me. I surf and download everything in site and my system is still clean. Some people dont even use an av. Some just use Comodo. Others just use Returnil. Some use nothing. Others use Sandboxie. Read my thread here. If somebody can prove to me that using 2 av's is better then one with extensive testing and proof be my guest. You can have 3 av's running,2 firewalls, 2 behavior blockers all under a Sandbox and still get infected. Nothing is 100% effective. BTW Jaki...why did you start this thread if you seem to know the answers.

http://forums.comodo.com/anti_virusmalware_productsother_security_products/wow_do_i_love_my_security_set_up-t25201.0.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:53:47 PM by Vettetech »

Offline Jaki

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »
Hi Vette

You are so wrong. The facts are there are more and more companies that are adopting multi-engines technology, some are better than the other. Take for example Gdata, F-secure, and TrustPort. These companies have a market based on real customer demands. Without such a demand any company would not have any revenue and consequently they all will be out of business.

Also any new idea or concept will obviously face resistance against any accepted convention, but that is how science and technology advances by challenging the statu quo. The concept of one anti-virus engine has had its time. Bottom line if companies like Gdata, F-secure etc are producing more version of their products mean that they are spending their own money and they expect a substantial retrun on their own investment. If that is true I can logically deduce that their finished product are products that a least a segmeent of the information security market want. What company that will willingly invest in a losing investment? I like such a product as well as many others and more of us are growing in numbers.

That all the proof I need. and more are coming up.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek