Response to ping with Gibson Research Shields Up test

There is a misconfiguration somewhere.
Anyway, responding to ping is nowhere like a security issue.

Thatā€™s not quite true. Ideally, a stealth machine doesnā€™t respond to pingsā€¦ A stealth machine is better protected than one that isnā€™t :fog::face_in_clouds::fog:

Of course someone could always use nmap to do ports scanning, for example, but intrinsically, itā€™s safer not to respond to ping than to respond to it :mag_right::satellite::brick::desktop_computer:

That said, the safest time for your computer is when you unplug it.

Unless you have Comodo :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That doesnā€™t have to do with stealth. You can still allow it and having your system stealth. Itā€™s more the SPI (or maybe the protocol analysis) feature that does that.
In GNU/Linux systems for example thereā€™s no stealth by default and their firewalls doesnā€™t have SPI because they are strictly just firewalls, still the system responds to clients that scan network ports and report to them as closed. That doesnā€™t mean they are less secure.

1 Like

i AngelArm ! :vulcan_salute:

I work with Fedoraā€¦ and I would never compare Linux to Windows unless I wanted to trollā€¦ :nerd_face:

Otherwise, to answer: whatā€™s futile isnā€™t necessarily useless. Sometimes you learn that the hard way.
To speed things up, hereā€™s Copilotā€™s answer:

Proxy:

A proxy is an intermediate server that acts as a relay between your device and the Internet. Hereā€™s how it works:
When you send a request to a website, it first goes through the proxy.
The proxy modifies your IP address using its own, thus masking your real IP address.
It can also filter traffic according to predefined rules (for example, blocking certain sites or types of content).
Proxies are often used to access restricted sites or to protect your privacy by masking your identity.
However, they donā€™t automatically encrypt your traffic, which means your data can still be intercepted.

VPN (Virtual Private Network):

A VPN creates a secure tunnel between your device and a remote server. Hereā€™s how it works:
Your Internet traffic is encrypted and routed via the VPN server.
Your IP address is masked by that of the VPN server.
VPNs offer a high level of privacy and security, as they protect your data from interception.
They are commonly used to access corporate networks, bypass censorship and protect your personal information.
However, VPNs can slow down your connection due to encryption, and often require a paid subscription.

DNS (Domain Name System):

DNS is responsible for resolving domain names into IP addresses.
Using a third-party DNS server (such as Google DNS or Cloudflare) can improve your browsing speed and security.
Some DNS services also offer malicious content blocking features.

Anonymizers:

Anonymizers are tools that hide your online identity.
They can include proxy services, VPNs, private browsers and anonymizing networks such as Tor.
The use of an anonymizer depends on your specific needs: confidentiality, access to restricted sites, etc.
In short, choose the technique that best suits your needs: proxy for fast, basic access, VPN for enhanced security, and DNS/anonymizers for specific functionalities. Donā€™t forget that each solution has its advantages and disadvantages, so adapt your choice according to your context

You can also try to pass the data flow through several proxies, including initially redirecting to 127.0.0.1, then Torā€¦

but nothing is guaranteed, as you so aptly put it.

Death and taxes, two things that are guaranteed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Letā€™s also count on the next solar flare to damage our hard drivesā€¦!

Too bad Comodo doesnā€™t protect against that too! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Give it time it just might. :grin:

2 Likes

I donā€™t compare Linux to Windows; they share the same network stack that comes fromā€¦ BSD to begin with.
I never said itā€™s futile, just that the assertion is wrong.
Both are secure independently to being stealth or not.

When explorers go to Mars, everyone will have a Comodo pack :grin:

1 Like

Already secure my package. :upside_down_face: :rofl:

Iā€™ll never go into space without my Comodo Packā€¦

Just make sure itā€™s not a beta! :smiley:

1 Like

It really canā€™t be the BETA versionā€¦ lol :rofl:
One question has the Firewall been fixed, the bug that was being discussed here in this topic?

1 Like

Galaxy Quest-style space conquestā€¦

For Comodo, giving away its online beta on a forum would be like NASA putting its lunar module up for rent at Walmart before its design is complete!

Only aliens can laugh at that! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:alien:
th-1852825238

One question has the Firewall been fixed, the bug that was being discussed here in this topic?

1 Like